Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Designated Driver

Robb informed me last week that his business visa ran out last week, and until his Civil ID arrives (in a few weeks) I will have to drive. I am not sure if I have been able to portray how vicious the traffic is here, so I was apprehensive. Tonight we were heading out to get groceries, and he handed me the keys and asked me if I wanted to drive (he has been driving even though he shouldn't because I have been a chicken S&%T). I agreed.

Let me tell you, I have not driven for a month, and it was wierd just getting used to the feel of it again. I wish my first time out on the roads of Kuwait wasn't with such precious cargo! We headed up the 'Death Highway', but it wasn't quite rush hour, so I felt OK about it. We managed to get to our destination - the Lulu Hypermarket (not to be confused with my favorite althetic wear store lululemon ). Here I am - proof that I drove here.

We opted to get a Toyota FJ Cruiser so we wouldn't be so small on the road, since size does matter here - in terms of safety and respect on the road. It also depends on who is ahead has the right of way, regardless of how crappy or arrogant of a driver they are...anyway, I live to tell the story...and to be honest, it wasn't TOO bad. The passenger seat driver was a bit nervous, though, verbalizing all the hazards on the road, whether I saw them or not!



Robb will still continue to drive himself to work since I am not about to get up at 6 am with two kids, trying to make my way back to the apartment, then repeat 9 hours later....

No comments:

Post a Comment