I bought some basil the other day to make pesto, but then didn't. I also had some tomatoes in the fridge I needed to use up. I did a quick search for tomato basil soup, and ended up doing my own thing. I have to say, it rivals Le Madeleine. Tomatos here are in season and cheap ($1.20 for a bag of 10 medium ones!), so I bought more today and made a larger batch to have leftovers. Here is my made-up version:
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
3.5 cups veggie broth
1 tsp sugar
8-10 medium tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
heavy cream
Brown the onion in butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic and fry for a minute. Add broth, sugar, tomatoes and basil. Bring to boil, then simmer about 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then puree in batches in a blender.
When ready to serve, re-heat, then add a few tablespoons of heavy cream before serving.
Tastes great with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment