Similar to the Freshman 15 (pounds gained by new college students living away from home) - the Kuwait 15 is a local phenomenon. It can happen easily...there isn't much to do here in terms of an outdoor lifestyle, so there is alot of eating as entertainment. Socializing, as with everywhere else in the world, also revolves around eating, and there is a doughnut or ice cream store on every corner, not to mention the discovery of great little places to taste local and intenational cuisine from everywhere. Gotta try it at least once, right? Or twice? Anyway, you get the idea.
I was well on my way to the Kuwait 15, I was at about 5 or 6, and needed to do something about it. It was just after Christmas, and all the extra eating that goes along with it. I have always preferred to eat and exercise rather than not exercise and not eat. So, as soon as I heard there was a 1/2 marathon and 10 K in Kuwait in March, I was all for it. I started training for the 10k race (as I am not a distance runner) and looked online for an 8 week training session. Found it with Hal Higdon 10K training schedule. I tweaked it to fit my personal schedule, and to date, have only had to miss 3 training days for varous reasons. I am looking forward to March 19, so I can get off the treadmill and do something different. I would hate to waste the effort of training by not doing anything afterwards, so I plan on doing more strength training and maybe look into some sprint triathlons in Canada for when we are home for the summer. There is a kids fun run on the 18th, and Saige and Jessie have been diligently 'training' by doing laps around our pool deck. They love it.
You KNOW there will be pics posted of both events :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment