Saturday, May 7, 2011

Swimming and appetite

If anybody is looking for a sure fire way to increase their kids' appetite: 1 hour swimming lessons. I could NOT get enough food into my children today, especially Saige, who has been an eating machine for a few months now. Normally the lessons are 45 minutes, but we had 15 minutes to make up for today. Here is what the menu was today:

- Soy/rice milk upon waking
- 2 crepes for breakfast
- they each shared a leftover crepe an hour before swim lessons
- I gave them pretzels and apples for a snack on the drive to swim lessons (which falls at lunch time, 11:30 -12:30)
- I gave them a whole carrot to munch on the drive home from lessons
- I made them a smoothie with banana, strawberries, protein powder, avocado, laban (yogurt drink) and flax seed when we got home, plus a carrot muffin
- pumpkin seeds and pears for a snack.
- a small bowl of Cheetos for watching a movie I promised them this afternoon
- They whined the entire first half of the movie that they were still hungry...so I rushed and made dinner (chicken/egg noodles stir fry with carrots and cabbage) at 4:30! I usually feed them at 5:30 or 6.
- Granola and milk before bed

All to be repeated tomorrow. They will come home from school and snack all afternoon until dinner. I have noticed a slight weight gain in them, so it IS going somewhere other than the hollow leg :)

I am thankful for not having boys when it will eventually come to feeding the teenage years.

No comments:

Post a Comment