Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Muffins!!

With the LONG 2 week spring break drawing to a close, I decided to fill the freezer with pancakes and muffins for easy, grab and go breakfasts once school is back in. The pancakes crisp up nice in the toaster, add a side of banana or apple, and breakfast is done! Same as the muffins, I either pop one frozen in the lunch box, or thaw overnight for a yummy breakfast for the kids. We have one happy morning person (Jessie) and two not so keen to be out of bed (Saige and Me), so the less hassle to get food in the morning, the better!
The first batch of muffins were Banana Oatmeal - I was hesistant to stray from the traditional Banana Muffin recipe I have used for years...but this is YUMMY and slightly healthier? I don't know where the orignal recipe came from, so here is my adapted version:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup oats - fine grind
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp.baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 mashed bananas
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix the dry stuff....add the rest, stir till moist. 350F for 20 mins - makes 12 muffins (muffin cups save alot of time!)
And....here they are!


The second batch of muffins I made were Carrot Muffins from the Joy of Baking. I won't re-type the recipe, but I did make a few adaptations. I used 1/2 the sugar, used whole whaet flour, and added 1/4 cup date syrup. I used 1/2 the oil, and used 1/2 the amount as applesauce.

They are good, but I may keep searching for another great breakfast muffin.


And, finally, the pancake recipe at Epiciurious.com: Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes.
Makes about 15 toaster sized, freezable pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment